Support of heart and lung research
For more than 80 years, the William G. Kerckhoff Foundation has supported young scientists with their research into new therapeutic methods for the heart and lung, thereby guaranteeing the development and testing of newer and excellent therapeutic approaches and technologies.
Development of organs of the cardiovascular system
Scholarships for junior researchers and scientists
of research, special education, and improving the foundation
William G. Kerckhoff Foundation
A warm welcome!
Erfahren Sie mehr über die Entstehung und Entwicklung der Kerckhoff-Stiftung sowie über ihre geschäftsführenden bzw. beratenden Organe und Gremien.
Board of Directors
The honorary board represents the foundation internally and externally.
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees advises and decides on the use of assets.
Establishment of the William G. Kerckhoff Foundation
For more than 80 years, the William G. Kerckhoff Foundation has supported young scientists with their research into new therapeutic methods for the heart and lung. Through selected sponsorship of research and development, the Kerckhoff Foundation has made it possible for particularly young scientific talent to experiment and to make advances in the dimensions of fundamental research, thereby guaranteeing the development and testing of newer and excellent therapeutic approaches and technologies.
With the aim to clarify the concept of health, the Kerckhoff Foundation organises public tours through the institution’s historical buildings and the Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research. The descriptive yet simple presentation of complex processes e.g. in molecular biology, genetic therapy and stem-cell research brings, for above all children, the fascination of scientific research and creates an early appreciation of the possibilities for the avoidance of heart and lung illnesses. Regular symposiums and technical congresses further complete the scientific offerings of the foundation and the institute.
Old building of the Max-Planck-Institute
Hall of Honour
New building of the Max-Planck-Institute
The William G. Kerckhoff Foundation was founded by Louise E. Kerckhoff, widow of the of German origin businessman William G. Kerckhoff from Los Angeles. As a thankful patient of the Hessian public bath Bad Nauheim he decided within his lifetime to found an institution to provide for the advancement of medics after their university studies in the field of heart illnesses and diseases. After Kerckhoffs death in 1929 his widow realised his wishes.
The in 1931 founded William G. Kerckhoff Heart Research Institute was affiliated 20 years later with the “Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der Wissenschaften e.V.” and in 1972 finally integrated as “Max Planck Institute for Psychological and Clinical Research, W. G. Kerckhoff Institute”. The capital of the William G. Kerckhoff Foundation flows essentially in the institutions and operations of the in 2005 new oriented and founded current Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research as well as in scholarships for young scientists.
Visit us on the campus of the Max Planck Institute:
Parkstrasse 1 · GER–61231 Bad Nauheim
You can reach our managing director
Dr. Matthias Heil at
+49 6032 705-1705